A smorgasbord of science and nature, poetry, social and political justice, sailing, and humor pieces.
Linked where available online, but most are not.
Social and Political Justice, Poems and Essays
- PT & ME: A Love Letter – Rainshadow Journal, May 15, 2020.
- Time Slowing Down – Broad Street Magazine (Medium, reprint). May 14, 2020.
- Savoring the Covid Silence – Rainshadow Journal, April 27, 2020.
- On Fairness and Impartiality – Op-Ed, Port Townsend Leader, January 22, 2020.
- “Affairs” – a poem about similarities between current and historic forms of power and control, and also on those whose works have interpreted them. Stonecoast Review, January 2020.
- Citizens: Collateral Damage in the War on Terror – Op-Ed, Port Townsend Leader, March 13, 2018
- West Coast Action Alliance – anonymously written by me, about the activism, intimidation and destruction of a citizen network.
- Notes From Standing Rock – Veterans For Peace, November 2016. Update.
- Alaska Will Break Your Heart (A companion piece to an interview with Naomi Wolf) – Matter 11: The Woods, (Wolverine Publishing) March 2008
- Profits and Loss – American Bungalow, August 2007
Science and Nature
- Stop Monkeying Around! A Cautionary Tale of Smuggling and Risk – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2011
- Connecting the Dots: A New Tool for Consolidating Isolated Wildlife Incident Reports – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2011
- The Galapagos of the North – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2006
- Ratcheting Down the Rancor: Restoring Civility in Conversations about Climate Change – With the Citizens Roundtable; published May 2010 online.
- Seven Steps to Greater Public Support for Wildlife Conservation in China’s Fubao Nature Reserve (a speech given to Chinese government officials in Szechuan that was later translated and published/distributed in that country) September 2007
- Turning the Corner Toward Recovery – Endangered Species Bulletin, March/June 1998
- Linking Species Loss with Wetlands Loss – Environmental Law Institute’s National Wetlands Newsletter, November 1997
- So… You’d Like to Work in Alaska? – Endangered Species Bulletin, March 1999
Humor and Sailing
- Satire! To celebrate Dystopia Week, a dispatch from a future Kid Rock Administration. September 2019, Robot Butt (an online humor/satire magazine)
- A series of 6 articles on solo sailing in Good Old Boat magazine, September 2014 through May 2015: In Search of Solitude, Sept-Oct 2014; One Brain, Six Hands, Sept-Oct 2014; Departures and Arrivals, Nov-Dec 2014; Simplify Sail Changes Jan-Feb 2015; Anchoring When Solo, Part 1 March-April 2015; Anchoring When Solo, Part 2, May-June 2015
- Advice From Old Friends – Cruising World, November 2012
- Head-Turning Horseshoe Buoy – Good Old Boat, Sept-Oct 2012
- That Was No Puddle! – 48 North, September 2012
- Mexico Wrap-Up – Latitude 38, April 2012
- Rode Show! – Good Old Boat, January 2012
- Unshrinking the Planet – 48 North, December 2011
- Slow Waltz with the Bay: Two southbound sailors find San Francisco Bay Area’s charms irresistible – Latitude 38, October 2011
- A Sea of Meaning: How the Sea Changes Me – Women and Cruising, November 2011
- A Rough Corner Turned: Eight Days Down the Coast, Two Hove-to – 48 North, September 2011
- You Talkin’ to ME? What We Call Ourselves Speaks Volumes… – 48 North, May 2011
- Brevity Begets Harmony: Code Words Let Mars Understand Venus – Good Old Boat, November 2010
- What’s in a Boat Name? – 48 North, November 2010
- When Sail Rules – Good Old Boat, July 2010
- The Fog Knife and Other Wondrous Devices – 48 North, November 2009
- What’s in YOUR Closet? Nautical Skeletons from a First Cruise – 48 North, May 2009
- A Double-Ended Delight: A Singular Affair with a Pacific Seacraft 25 – Good Old Boat, March 2009
- Make-and-Mend Days – Good Old Boat, July 2008
- My First Race – 48 North, May 2008
- Sailing in the Ice Age – Pacific Seacraft Owner’s Bulletin, 2008
- Face Your Fears and Go For It! – Living Aboard, January 2007
- The Confession of Roatan Rose – Cruising World, June 2006
- What’s in YOUR Closet? Nautical Skeletons from a First Cruise – Latitudes and Attitudes, April 2006
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Summer Wind, Blue Ice) – Good Old Boat, January 2006
- (Numerous articles published before 1997, mostly about conservation of species and habitats)
all photos © Karen Sullivan