A smorgasbord of science and nature, poetry, social and political justice, sailing, and humor pieces.
Linked where available online, but most are not. (Also see author blog.)
Social, Political, and Environmental Justice plus general articles, poems and essays
- Millions of Birds in Trump’s Crosshairs – Rainshadow Journal, July 2, 2020. Reprint, Seattle’s Post Alley, July 8, 2020.
- Brion Toss: Once in Ten Thousand Years – Rainshadow Journal, June 9, 2020. (reprints in Sailing Magazine & Professional Boatbuilder Magazine.)
- PT & ME: A Love Letter – Rainshadow Journal, May 15, 2020.
- Time Slowing Down – Broad Street Magazine (Medium, reprint). May 14, 2020.
- Savoring the Covid Silence – Rainshadow Journal, April 27, 2020.
- On Fairness and Impartiality – Op-Ed, Port Townsend Leader, January 22, 2020.
- “Affairs” – a poem about similarities between current and historic forms of power and control, and also on those whose works have interpreted them. Stonecoast Review, January 2020.
- Citizens: Collateral Damage in the War on Terror – Op-Ed, Port Townsend Leader, March 13, 2018
- West Coast Action Alliance – anonymously written by me, about the activism, intimidation and destruction of a citizen network.
- Notes From Standing Rock – Veterans For Peace, November 2016. Update.
- Alaska Will Break Your Heart (A companion piece to an interview with Naomi Wolf) – Matter 11: The Woods, (Wolverine Publishing) March 2008
- Profits and Loss – American Bungalow, August 2007
Science and Nature
- Stop Monkeying Around! A Cautionary Tale of Smuggling and Risk – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2011
- Connecting the Dots: A New Tool for Consolidating Isolated Wildlife Incident Reports – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2011
- The Galapagos of the North – Fish and Wildlife News, Spring 2006
- Ratcheting Down the Rancor: Restoring Civility in Conversations about Climate Change – With the Citizens Roundtable; published May 2010 online.
- Seven Steps to Greater Public Support for Wildlife Conservation in China’s Fubao Nature Reserve (a speech given to Chinese government officials in Szechuan that was later translated and published/distributed in that country) September 2007
- Turning the Corner Toward Recovery – Endangered Species Bulletin, March/June 1998
- Linking Species Loss with Wetlands Loss – Environmental Law Institute’s National Wetlands Newsletter, November 1997
- So… You’d Like to Work in Alaska? – Endangered Species Bulletin, March 1999
Humor and Sailing
- Satire! To celebrate Dystopia Week, a dispatch from a future Kid Rock Administration. September 2019, Robot Butt (an online humor/satire magazine)
- A series of 6 articles on solo sailing in Good Old Boat magazine, September 2014 through May 2015: In Search of Solitude, Sept-Oct 2014; One Brain, Six Hands, Sept-Oct 2014; Departures and Arrivals, Nov-Dec 2014; Simplify Sail Changes Jan-Feb 2015; Anchoring When Solo, Part 1 March-April 2015; Anchoring When Solo, Part 2, May-June 2015
- Advice From Old Friends – Cruising World, November 2012
- Head-Turning Horseshoe Buoy – Good Old Boat, Sept-Oct 2012
- That Was No Puddle! – 48 North, September 2012
- Mexico Wrap-Up – Latitude 38, April 2012
- Rode Show! – Good Old Boat, January 2012
- Unshrinking the Planet – 48 North, December 2011
- Slow Waltz with the Bay: Two southbound sailors find San Francisco Bay Area’s charms irresistible – Latitude 38, October 2011
- A Sea of Meaning: How the Sea Changes Me – Women and Cruising, November 2011
- A Rough Corner Turned: Eight Days Down the Coast, Two Hove-to – 48 North, September 2011
- You Talkin’ to ME? What We Call Ourselves Speaks Volumes… – 48 North, May 2011
- Brevity Begets Harmony: Code Words Let Mars Understand Venus – Good Old Boat, November 2010
- What’s in a Boat Name? – 48 North, November 2010
- When Sail Rules – Good Old Boat, July 2010
- The Fog Knife and Other Wondrous Devices – 48 North, November 2009
- What’s in YOUR Closet? Nautical Skeletons from a First Cruise – 48 North, May 2009
- A Double-Ended Delight: A Singular Affair with a Pacific Seacraft 25 – Good Old Boat, March 2009
- Make-and-Mend Days – Good Old Boat, July 2008
- My First Race – 48 North, May 2008
- Sailing in the Ice Age – Pacific Seacraft Owner’s Bulletin, 2008
- Face Your Fears and Go For It! – Living Aboard, January 2007
- The Confession of Roatan Rose – Cruising World, June 2006
- What’s in YOUR Closet? Nautical Skeletons from a First Cruise – Latitudes and Attitudes, April 2006
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Summer Wind, Blue Ice) – Good Old Boat, January 2006
- (Numerous articles published before 1997, mostly about conservation of species and habitats)
all photos © Karen Sullivan